Why We Suspended Nationwide Strike – Labour

Date:

Share:

The Organised Labour has explained why it suspended the nationwide indefinite strike that commenced on Nov. 14. Mr Emmanuel Ugboaja, General Secretary of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), explained the action in a statement he jointly signed by Mr Nuhu Toro, Secretary General, Trade Union Congress(TUC), on Wednesday in Abuja.

The Organised Labour has explained why it suspended the nationwide indefinite strike that commenced on Nov. 14. Mr Emmanuel Ugboaja, General Secretary of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), explained the action in a statement he jointly signed by Mr Nuhu Toro, Secretary General, Trade Union Congress(TUC), on Wednesday in Abuja.

“The NEC in session had a thorough review of the offers presented by the Federal Government through the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

“We found the offers credible and decided to reconsider our action,” he said. It would be recalled that the organised labour earlier met with the NSA and the Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon Lalong.

“After the meeting, we directed all affiliates and State councils of both the NLC and TUC to demobilise and cease any further escalation of the indefinite strike action.

“We fully resume work tomorrow, Thursday, the 16th day of November, 2023,” he said. He added that a resolution was reached to suspend the ongoing nationwide strike, which commenced on the 14th of November 2023.

According to Ugboaja, the suspension is intended to facilitate further discussions after the federal government had met crucial demands.

“We expect the government to address the distressing abduction and brutalisation of the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Joe Ajaero, and others.

“These incidents occurred in the hands of the Police and Gov. Hope Uzodimma’s thugs in Owerri, in Imo, on the 1st day of November, 2023,” he recalled. He noted that an apology was tendered on behalf of the government by the NSA, who promised to coordinate the investigation.

He added that some of the perpetrators had been arrested while others would be fished out and prosecuted. Ugboaja said that a high-powered investigation was currently being carried out and the leadership of labour centres would be briefed continuously as progress is being made.

He commended all affiliates and state councils for their unwavering commitment and tenacity that made the strike a success.

“Once again, we convey our appreciation for your cooperation, resilience and determination in ensuring the success of the indefinite nationwide strike.  Naira Devaluation Deepens Economic Crisis in Nigeria

“We encourage you to remain vigilant as we await the fulfilment of the remaining agreements,” he said.

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here