Government source denies reports of France President’s visit to Morocco

Date:

Share:

Moroccan officials have denied reports on French television channel LCI that President Emmanuel Macron will pay a state visit to the kingdom.

According to reports in France, French Foreign Minister, Catherine Colonna on Friday in an interview on LCI channel remarked that President Macron would be visiting Morocco.

“Relations between Morocco and France are old. They are marked with a deep friendship,” Colonna told the French channel from Cairo. “Our leaders, a few weeks ago, were talking about a state visit to Morocco, which should be carried out without a doubt.”

She went further saying that Morocco’s King Mohammed VI had invited Macron to the country for a state visit,  suggesting that the visit dates would be unveiled in the coming days.

But this has now been denied. French President Emmanuel Macron’s supposed visit to Morocco “is not on the agenda and is not scheduled,” a Moroccan government source said on Saturday.

Advertisement

Colonna’s comments came as Moroccans continued expressing dissatisfaction with the French media’s insensitive and condescending coverage of Morocco’s efforts to cope with the tragic aftermath of last week’s earthquake.

The devastating earthquake struck the North African country on the night of September 8, and it has so far taken nearly 3,000 lives and left over 5,500 injured.

In the immediate aftermath of the disaster, several French media outlets claimed that Morocco had French aid and questioned whether the country could handle the necessary rescue efforts without French assistance.

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here