Qatar ships World Cup fan accommodation to Turkey-Syria earthquake zones

Date:

Share:

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Preview, Doha, Qatar – November 18, 2022 The FIFA World Cup logo is pictured on the Corniche Promenade ahead of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

Qatar has donated portacabins and mobile homes used for last year’s World Cup soccer tournament to earthquake zones in Turkey and Syria where they will accommodate people left homeless, a Qatari official told Reuters on Monday.

A ship carrying the first 350 units left Qatar for Turkey on Sunday, the official said.

The Gulf Arab state has pledged to send 10,000 mobile housing units to the earthquake zones, Qatar’s Fund for Development said in a tweet.

“In view of the urgent needs in Turkey and Syria, we have taken the decision to ship our cabins and caravans to the region, providing much needed and immediate support to the people of Turkey and Syria,” the official said.

The combined death toll in Turkey and Syria from last Monday’s 7.8 magnitude quake and aftershocks is near 36,000 and looks set to rise, as the focus of the response switched from rescuing survivors trapped under the rubble to providing shelter, food and psychosocial care.

Qatar’s World Cup organisers had always planned to donate the housing units, which were installed on empty stretches of desert surrounding the Qatari capital Doha to house fans visiting for the soccer World Cup.

Fans paid some $200 per night to stay in the housing units, which helped avoid a potential housing shortage during the month-long tournament held in November and December.

-Reuters

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here