FIFA bans former Peru FA president for life over bribery charges

Date:

Share:

Former president of the Peruvian Football Association Manuel Burga Seoane has been banned from all football-related activities for life by FIFA for participating in bribery schemes, world soccer’s governing body said on Tuesday.

Seoane was also ordered to pay a fine of 1 million Swiss francs ($1.10 million) for breaching articles in FIFA’s Code of Ethics related to conflicts of interest, bribery and corruption, and offering and accepting gifts or other benefits among others.

“The sanction imposed on Mr Burga Seoane follows a previous decision rendered by the adjudicatory chamber in July 2019,” FIFA said.

That decision was annulled by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in April last year and referred back to the investigatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee.

But the adjudicatory chamber said it was “comfortably satisfied” that Seoane, also a former member of the CONMEBOL Executive Committee and the FIFA Development Committee, had breached the code of ethics.

Advertisement

Reuters has contacted the Peruvian FA for comment.

FIFA also said it had banned Bimo Wirjasoekarta, the President of Indonesian club Tira Persikabo, for two years after finding him guilty of “acts of intimidation, coercion, threat and exploitation towards a player”.

Wirjasoekarta’s sanction is suspended for a probationary period of three years and he must also pay a fine of 10,000 Swiss francs.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here