Dubois appeals to WBA over Usyk fight, wants rematch

Date:

Share:

Daniel Dubois has formally appealed to the World Boxing Association (WBA) to declare his loss to Ukraine’s world heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk last month a No Contest and order a rematch.

The 26-year-old British challenger suffered a ninth-round knockout in the fight in Wroclaw, Poland, on Aug. 26 but said he was “cheated out of victory” by a low blow controversy when Usyk went down in the fifth.

Usyk, who retained his WBA, WBO and IBF belts, was given nearly four minutes to compose himself after being hit on the band of his shorts.

Dubois’ promoter Frank Warren said it had been a legitimate shot by his fighter.

“The WBA, now that it has received a formal appeal from Dubois’ team, will proceed with a review as per the regulations,” the WBA said in a statement.

Advertisement

“Any decision made regarding this situation will be made under WBA rules and communicated in a timely and appropriate manner.”

Warren told the BBC that the appeal had been lodged on Tuesday by his Queensberry Promotions.

Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk said on the night of the fight that he saw “several low blows” from Dubois.

“Everyone wants the rematch after he loses a fight,” he added.

Reuters

Advertisement

 

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here