Christian Atsu’s club, Hatayspor withdraw from Turkish league after earthquake

Date:

Share:

Christian Atsu, still missing

Hatayspor have withdrawn from the Turkish Super Lig following the devastating earthquake that hit the country this week, the president of the Turkish Union of Clubs Ali Koc said on Thursday.

Hatayspor’s Ghanaian winger Christian Atsu remains missing despite the club’s vice president saying earlier this week that he had been rescued from the rubble with injuries and transported to hospital.

Turkey’s Anadolu Agency reported the club’s sports director Taner Savut is still missing or under the rubble.

“Hatayspor sent a letter. They notified us that they will not play this season’s games,” Koc said at a news conference along with Turkish Football Federation (TFF) president Mehmet Buyukeksi.

“If Gaziantep FK also wants to withdraw from the league, we plan to continue with 17 teams, provided that the rights of these two clubs remain intact,” adding that Gaziantep had yet to make a decision.

The Gaziantep province was close to the epicentre of the earthquake and was badly hit

Hatayspor are 14th in the Turkish top flight’s standings while Gaziantep are 10th. Hatayspor director Volkan Demirel did not respond to a request for comment.

The resumption of the league has been further delayed and is expected to restart on March 3.

The death toll from the earthquakes which hit Turkey and Syria passed 19,000 on Thursday, with the TFF confirming several players and coaches from across divisions have lost their lives.

-Reuters

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here