Blatter blasts 2030 World Cup in six countries

Date:

Share:

Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter has criticised the decision by world soccer’s governing body to hold the World Cup in six countries across three continents.
Morocco, Spain and Portugal were named hosts of the 2030 tournament, while Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay will also host the opening matches to mark the tournament’s centenary, FIFA said in a surprise announcement on Wednesday.
The decision was criticised by Sepp Blatter, who was FIFA President from 1998 to 2015, before being forced out after a corruption investigation.
“It is absurd to tear the tournament apart in this way,” Blatter told Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick.
“The World Cup finals must be a compact event,” he said, adding this was important for the identity of the event, for the organisation and for visitors.
FIFA has said the vast majority of games would be held in Morocco, Portugal and Spain, reducing the environmental impact of the tournament.
“For 101 games, the tournament will be played in a footprint of neighbouring countries in close geographic proximity and with extensive and well developed transport links and infrastructure,” world soccer’s ruling body said.
“Three games will take place in South America, also in neighbouring countries in close geographic proximity to mark the 100th year of the tournament.”
Blatter, once one of soccer’s most powerful figures, has previously been criticised FIFA for awarding the 2022 tournament to Qatar, saying the Middle East country was too small.
The 87-year-old said the 2030 tournament should take place in South America, marking the 100th anniversary of the first event which was hosted and won by Uruguay.
“For historical reasons, the 2030 World Cup should have belonged exclusively in South America,” he told the newspaper.

-Reuters

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...

Osimhen extends contract with Napoli till 2026

Nigerian international forward Victor Osimhen has signed a contract extension with Napoli until 2026, the Serie A champions announced on Saturday....
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here