Judge rejects Brazil defender Dani Alves’s bail request

Date:

Share:

A Spanish judge on Tuesday denied Brazil defender Dani Alves’s second bail request while the footballer awaits trial for alleged rape.

The 40-year-old was detained in January after he was accused of raping a young woman in the bathroom of a Barcelona nightclub late last year.

The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star will remain in custody after the court investigating him said there was a “high risk” he would try to flee.

It “rejected the request for release made by the defence”, the High Court of Justice of Catalonia said Tuesday.

It said his wealth “could allow him to leave Spain at any time”.

Advertisement

UEFA

This was the second time Alves’s legal team have pushed for his release after their first request was turned down in February.

His lawyers asked for bail again in April, shortly after he addressed the judge at a hearing where he said the pair had sexual relations but claimed they were consensual.

Alves’s legal team proposed revoking his two passports, Brazilian and Spanish, to reassure the judge he could be granted bail this time — but the request was rejected.

-AFP

Advertisement

UEFA

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

Prophet Ikuru Urges President Tinubu to Address IPOB Leadership Issue

In a significant statement, Prophet Godwin Ikuru of the Jehovah Eye Salvation Ministry has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to address the issue...

AFCON 2023 Countdown: Cote d’Ivoire may turn back some Nigerians over travel passports

BY KUNLE SOLAJA. Nigerians holding the ECOWAS Travel Certificates and going for the Africa Cup of Nations next month are certain...

Namibia trainer Benjamin names list of 28 players

Namibia will make its fourth African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Collin Benjamin has called up 28 players The Brave Warriors...

Guinea coach Diawara names 25-man squad for AFCON

Guinea will be making its 13th  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Kaba Diawara has called up 25 players Syli National...

Mozambique coach Conde announces 23-man squad

Mozambique will make their fifth  African Cup of Nations appearance Coach Chiquinho Condé has called up 23 players The Mambas placed...
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here